Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

Thalassemia Minor

So..basically it means that there is no treatment for a Thalassemia minor, after research on the web..

Well..I really do not know what to say.
People were always think how come I'm always tired..How I managed to sleep so much and still feel tired etc..

I think I finally got the answer for you guys and understand the condition I'm in.
As a Thalassemia minor (which I know since I was in pri school..)..etc. The doctor says that I can lead a normal life etc.
They somehow left out on the mini parts to what a minor mean.

So finally, I understand that.
Cause as a minor, you may have mild symptons of Anemia..(which should not be mixed up with Iron-deficient Anemia)
These symptons include
- Tired
- Fatigue EASILY (Just had to highlight this)
- Appear Pale (Which is not good when I do want to look full of life!..)
- Develop Palpitations (Feeling of heart racing) (Think I have yet to experience that..I think..Unless is the NUS thing..)
- Short of Breath (Use to have Asthma..but I'm totally cool now..)
etc, which I would not like to mention.

So..I totally understand how I can sleep for super long hours yet still feel sleepy.

The thing is that there is no treatment, which is like urgh...
The good news is that this disease does not get worse as patient gets older,,

While some recommend taking of Vitamin B12, Vitamin C..

and Iron, some says that we should not take iron as a minor is not equals to Iron-deficient Anemia, and should not take iron as we can get iron overload..Hmm..

But I think a little iron is still good for me. =)

The thing I should be thankful for..is that..it says, the gene of Thalassemia minor helps in protection against malaria, thus this gene thrive in Africa. So..that's good news for a start.

As for the looking sleepy part and easy fatigue, I think I can exercise more, eat more healthy fruits and drinks lots of water..and put make up to make me look fresh.

Ok. That's all.

No comments: